Tuesday, August 25, 2009

taking comfort in one's self

My grandma used to make chili spaghetti, usually on Fridays when we'd have family gatherings. We'd have the option of clam chowder or chili spaghetti which was just chili over spaghetti. It sounds simple but it was wonderfully grandma-esque.

Today, I felt a bit under the weather so I decided to make some chili spaghetti for myself. It wasn't great but it was homemade and it was my first shot at it so there's room for improvement. It did get me to thinking that this is what I have now. Not only do I have to make the chili meat-free but I have to do this myself. My grandma's now in a retirement home, no longer on the farm. There won't be anymore chili spaghetti Fridays, even if I was to make it to the farm for one of those Fridays. Sad. Still, the food did make me feel a little better.

No comments: