Sunday, August 2, 2009

on my own two feet

When I was a kid, my 'hot coal walk' was my grandparent's driveway. On the farm, they had a dirt driveway with large, generally smooth rocks embedded in it. Those rocks were not only uncomfortable to walk over in bare feet but they were also burning hot. However, I was determined to have tough feet and walk around without shoes like tribes-people (or like hobbits).

In my younger years, it was a lot more common for me to go around barefoot. I loved walking through my or my best friend's front yard. We had nice grass in certain parts. I also liked walking on the street during the summer. They tarred the cracks in the road and I loved to squish the tar which had warmed in the summer sun between my toes.

Today, I tried walking barefoot again. I wasn't trying to reclaim my youth though. I've been sporting sandals this summer to help my feet breathe but, as nice as they are for my soles, they've been wearing on the tops of my feet. I got to my destination (Clinton Street Video) on my morning walk but I couldn't make it back. Rather than limp in pinching sandals, I took them off and decided to go barefoot. A number of people I know do it in the city and I don't see how. The sidewalks aren't kind and there's hardly any grass. I guess it's just another illustration of me getting soft in my older age. I did manage to make it to Powell before I decided that the uncomfortable nature of walking barefoot outweighed walking in uncomfortable sandals.
I may attempt it again sometime but I don't really see the need. I have a whole lot of shoes.

No comments: