Thursday, August 6, 2009

the b&g test

Even though I posted yesterday about eating better, today I sought out biscuits and gravy. Actually, it's been an on-going search. I judge restaurants by the quality of their vegetarian biscuits and gravy, if they even offer it.

Paradox has biscuits and gravy that would pass as good but nothing that memorable. Same thing goes with Vita Cafe. Chaos Cafe has decent b&g but it's taste was offset by the steamed greens served with it. I like greens occasionally but not for breakfast. I went to Genie's for the first time a month or two ago, just for their b&g. It was the best place so far but that was before today.

I don't know how I've missed Pine State Biscuits for so long. It's not a very veggie friendly place so that may be why it hasn't been on my radar but I've been missing out. Breakfast is easy to do vegetarian (not so easy for vegans though) and PSB has by far the best biscuits and gravy. The gravy is a shitake mushroom gravy. The mushroom flavor is really potent and delicious. The seating at the place isn't great (it only seats 15 inside and has just a bench outside) and the service wasn't memorable but they have good coffee and great biscuits. That's all I really look for in a breakfast diner.

1 comment:

secret said...

I enjoy a PSB once in a while. I do like it alot but need to tread lightly cuz I know the gravy is laden with cream.

This place is so popular that there is a line even on the weekdays.