Wednesday, August 12, 2009

but i'm a cheerleader

Despite my gayness and my lack of athletic ability, I like some sports but in the form of spectating, not playing. In high school basketball, I was a particularly good bench warmer my sophomore and junior years. My senior year, I decided that it was time to follow Principal McGee's advice and, since I couldn't be an athlete, I'd be an athletic supporter.

Don't get me wrong. You wouldn't really catch me at a football game actually paying attention to the game. In a town of 308 people, there's not a lot else going on during a Friday night but I would only go for the social aspects. I could have given two shits less about the game. However, during basketball, I was completely absorbed. The coach actually had to tell me to sit down a few times because he didn't want me getting a T for cheering (or balking at the ref).

I also loved going to watch softball games during the summer. My dad played for various teams and I always found it entertaining. Every now and then, I would fill in as well, although I usually got placed in the 'girl' positions (Sophia's term, not mine). That was fine with me though. I preferred to be 'in it' as little as possible but was glad to help out.

Today, I went to see my friend Sophia play (and get on base). It seems like something I could enjoy. They're not that competitive and it's just softball. There is a gay softball league in town but I think they're pretty competitive. Sophia's asked me if I want to play and I just might some day but I would also be fine with just cheering.

No comments: