Monday, August 10, 2009

pasta puzzles

There's that scene at the end of Office Space where Peter ends up working a manual labor job and everything's alright in his world. I think about that scene a lot, especially when I'm stuck in my cubicle and it's beautiful outside.

I don't like to think of myself as an office employee, especially considering that my job sometimes involves zoo trips or cleaning up bathroom messes. I'm definitely not chained to my desk and there is no possibility of my boss hunting me down and asking me to come in on weekends. However, I do have a cubicle. I do listen to the tapping of keys a lot. I even have office flair, designed to promote individuality through microcosmic statements. And my job really isn't physical, unless you count ducking punches or playing the wii.

Today, I was asked to go to our Outlet where non-Outlet employees usually can't go due to our shopping policy. I was needed to help fix pallettes for a job that our production and contracts office was working on. I basically had to switch out four boxes of pasta that we had originally stacked incorrectly.

It didn't provide me with a perfect zen moment but it did get me out of the office and moving a little more which was cool. I'm not sure that my ideal job would involve manual labor but I know I would crave it more if I didn't already had a job that got me out of the office as much as this one does and a job that offers up enough variety to keep me on my toes (and keep me from hauling office equipment out to a field to 'dismantle' it).

1 comment:

Eric said...

If you want variety, you could always go down to storage B and kill cockroaches :)