Saturday, June 13, 2009

the largest world naked bike ride ever

Tonight, I gave more high fives to people in one bike ride than I probably have in my life. I also had more people see me naked than I ever thought probable. And it was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life.

Portland has a fine tradition of putting on the best World Naked Bike Ride. I've participated in it once before but it wasn't nearly as big and I kept my undies on that time. Nakedness is subjective and people are allowed to disrobe at whatever level they feel comfortable with. This time, I biked up to the ride which had just kicked off and saw a thousand naked people biking towards me. I parked my bike quick, stripped everything off and proceeded to hit the town. We bike nine to ten miles, through downtown and across the bridge. People were spilling out of the bars and lined up on the streets to gawk. We bottlenecked when going by most of the bars downtown so we were basically slowly walking while hundreds of people on every block took pictures. It was insane.

Afterwards I headed to the party at a warehouse and danced with a whole lot of naked people. I wouldn't say that I've ever really been comfortable with nudity. I have my hang-ups and my self-consciousness. However, it's difficult to be embarrassed knowing most of the Portland barflys have seen your woo-haa. I feel great after doing it. I cannot wait for next year. It'll be bigger and better and all Portland!

No comments: