Sunday, June 21, 2009

jen's new place

I can think of many other ways to spend a Sunday but when I heard that my friend Jen needed help painting her place, I didn't even hesitate to say I'd be there.

Maybe it's my immaturity but I always think back to, "What did my parents do at my age (besides deal with three kids)?" and I remember that they used to help their friends all the time. They had a dependable core of people, the Burns', The Christensens', the Bernhardts', who they would always be there for and who would always be there for them. They would move each other. They would work on houses together. They would also have regular card playing nights and take vacations together but I think they really bonded during the working times.

And, you know, my friends here are like that. I know certain people that I could always count on to help pitch in and I like being one of those people too.

Jen moved across town when she used to be my 'down-the-street' neighbor. While this move does mean that I'll see her less (sigh), I still want to reinforce those bonds. Hell, my parents moved away from their friends at one point in my life and they'd still drive six hours to help them out. I think I can make it sixty blocks.

1 comment:

jennifer said...

Oh, how sweet! I've been so crazy busy I haven't had time to check yr blog, and now I see this. Thank you!!!