Wednesday, June 10, 2009

excessively gassy

I've tried to be good about not being preachy about what other people eat. I've even been sort of good about not going off of the religiously-minded. But it is getting more and more difficult to hold my tongue when it comes to gas-hogs. It's getting harder and harder to see the other side of the river in Portland. Coming over the railroad track overpass on Holgate, I can look over to downtown and it's veiled behind a haze of smog. It's heartbreaking that it has become accepted and it's even more difficult to see intelligent people burning fossil fuels out of laziness.

Pedalpalooza is coming up which is always a great time to promote bike friendliness. On Monday, I decided to get a head-start on becoming less petroleum dependent and went to Tigard to buy a bike cart out of an office. It was a tad sketchy but I'm sure that it was legit. However, I'm hesistant to post the name of the place here. Write me personally and I'll give it to you. The bike cart was primarily for Dean but he has only managed to get out of the driveway before jumping out of it. Therefore, it'll be used for eliminating my car.

Yesterday, one of my new things was a Honka Hoota, the new bike "horn" I got from Citybikes. It's a great little thing that looks like a kid's toy. If you zoom in on the picture above, it's the thing that looks like a tumor growing out of my handlebars.

Today, I took the cart out on its maiden voyage to, of all places, a car shop. My house had a spare car battery that I was going to get recharged for a potential bike-cart-sound-system this weekend. The battery was heavy as they tend to be so walking was out of the question. I was going to just scooter it over there but then I thought, "This is exactly why I got the cart, so I don't have to use the car to haul heavy or akward shit." It rattled and the battery bounced around a bit but it worked and it cost me $0.00
0/10 in gas to do it.

No comments: