Saturday, May 10, 2008

vegfest!

A few weeks ago, a fellow-vegetarian friend asked me if I feel snooty sometimes for being vegetarian. He said he did, although he wasn't about to go eat meat. I told him I didn't. I don't always get in people's faces about being eating meat but I know it was the right choice for me. It was one of those eventualities for me. Even when I was a meat-eater in high school, I knew that eventually I'd become a vegetarian. It was just inevitable. I just needed a friend to help me get started. I tried being a vegan two years ago for a week. A egg and cheese bagel brought me back to the land of dairy. I may try again someday but I'm not planning on it anytime soon.

Today, I went to Portland's VegFest, a two-day event of speakers and vendors and cooking demos. I went to see my friends and to be immersed in the 'good vibes,' that general warm feeling that you get when you know you're around like-minded people. But mostly I went for the samples. I was reminded of the Simpsons episode, 'Lisa Gets an A," where the Simpsons decided to hit a natural foods store for an after-church brunch just to fill up on the samples. It was a nice variety of selection and some very tasty vegan cheese which is rare. Maybe I'll give the vegan thing another try after all. But not today.

No comments: