Thursday, May 1, 2008

mayday mayday


Mayday used to be a day where my mom would make cupcakes with a licorice rope handle that I would leave on various friends' doorsteps. I would knock on the door and then have to run away quickly before they could catch and kiss me. (Yes, this is when I was a whole lot younger). As much fun as that was, I like today's tradition as well. Since my first Portland Mayday in 2002, Mayday has meant taking it to the streets. It's a very festive day which hopefully doesn't end in a police riot. Today was festive as well and fortunately did not end up in a police riot!
It started out with a march. I participated in my first machete block.
We marched in the typical circle, stopping at City Hall for a while. At the last march, several people scaled this building so it was highly guarded this time. The demo above is to oppose the new requirement for proof of legal status before granting a driver's license.Then it was off to the First Unitarian Church. I generally avoid churches but the First Unitarian Church has done a lot of good work and is very accepting of all people. Here, we had free food and there was a piƱata for the kids.

Overall, a pretty nice day to walk and get back in touch with people. No cupcakes necessary.

No comments: