Saturday, May 10, 2008

sweet zombie jesus!



What in the hell's a "zompire?" "Zompire" is the name of the annual film fest here in Portland, featuring zombie and vampire movies. I went to this with a bunch of friends last night who are way more into zombie movies than me. If I had to choose, I'd say I prefer vampire movies as a genre, primarily because I don't like a lot of gore. Fortunately, we live in a world where I don't have to choose. I can have both!

The film fest lasted for two evenings but I only went tonight. Friday's films looked too awful. I was more excited about seeing the short films tonight which ended up being the best part of the festival. "Cannibal Flesh Riot" was a really good short. One of my friends thought it went on too long but I was willing to watch even more of it, primarily because it was funny as hell (on earth) and it was in black and white and therefore the gore wouldn't be too much. However, my favorite of the night would have to have been "Zombie Jesus!" It had a hilarious and awesome commentary on religion and was way too short. I could have watched a feature-length version although I'm sure the joke would've gotten old after a bit.

Really, there was only one vampire short tonight and both of the features were zombie flicks and I really enjoyed them. I hadn't seen the 2004 Dawn of the Dead which was wonderful. The comical Wasting Away wasn't great but it was funny and I did appreciate. I now feel more prepared to fight the army of the undead when they end up walking the earth!

No comments: