Tuesday, May 13, 2008

a bad aptitude


In high school, I took one of those aptitude tests for jobs. Based on my responses to several questions like "Do you enjoy being outside?" and "Do you like cleaning?", they gave me a choice of different jobs that the computer thought I would be good at. I remember that my choices were garbage man (i'm not kidding) or writer. Obviously, I chose writer. I have yet to fulfill that but it was the path I chose. So why am I doing social work?

Lately, I've been feeling a little more disgruntled with my job. I don't care about what they assign me to. Hell, last Friday, my boss made me attend a birthday party of one of the Program Managers so I could show all of his employees how to play the Wii. To keep me there, they gave me pie and coffee. So it's not like I'm being exploited or anything. I just know that some of the people that I work with who supervise the clients in the stores are getting shafted. It sucks because they're good people and the majority of the clients really thrive on stability so having a high turnover rate in the supervisory department sucks. And then today I felt like I wasn't doing the clients much good either. One guy had a really bad day. I tried to cheer him up at lunch but everything I said seemed to piss him off more. I should've just told him to knock it off but I was trying to reason with him. Another client was upset in the morning and went to bite himself. I laid down on a exercise ball and played dead to distract him so he jumped on me. I knew he wouldn't hurt me but it was a rookie mistake that I shouldn't have made.

Argh. To get away, I took a long lunch at Artemis Foods. It was my first time there. I was disappointed in the overpriced Dragon Chai and I doubt I'll be going back but it was a nice escape. It gave me a chance to clear my head and think about my future and if this is really where I see myself several years from now...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I was just telling Alyssa last weekend about how my aptitude test suggested I be a garbage man, and she didn't believe me. At least yours gave you two options. Of course, at the time I think I wanted to be a detective and now I hate just about all forms of cop. It would be interesting to see a follow-up on the results vs. predictions.