Saturday, May 17, 2008

surprise attack

I've had two surprise birthday parties in my life. My first was my 18th birthday. All of my classmates gathered in my house while my mom had me at the community center, running errands with one of my classmates. I was pissed that she was having me run around when all I wanted to do was relax on my birthday. Eventually, she told me to go home and get her a mixing spoon. I did it but I didn't go into the basement where my friends were all hiding. I came back and my mom was shocked and had to send me back for something in the basement this time. When they jumped out and yelled surprise, I nearly fell down the stairs. It was nice.

My second was last year. I ruined it by deciding to call everyone up and celebrate my birthday a day early at the Pub at the End of the Universe. We all got mad drunk and I was very very hung-over the next day. I was in no mood for anything, much less a party in North Portland. However, my roommates talked me into it, promising I could leave whenever I felt like it. I was so dead to the world that I didn't realize what was going on when they all yelled surprise. It took me a bit to figure out that it was a party for me.

Today we had my friend Arturo's first surprise party the day after his birthday. It was a nice small party and he was surprised. And he was happy about it. Happy B-day a day late!

No comments: