Wednesday, May 28, 2008

buying into 'murika (f*ck yeah)


I bought into the 'Murikan attitude today, stimulated the economy and bought myself a flat screen monitor. I also bought into the bigger, newer and better form of capitalism that pisses me off oh so often. And I'm not happy with it.

I am resistant to change. Upgrading technology has never really made too much sense to me unless something just isn't working. It's like my car. I can't see buying another one until this one is unable to move. So why the hell did I just spend $200+ (before rebates) on a monitor when I have a working one already?

The answer is this stupid economic stimulation check that we got. It's free money to me now and I feel the need to appease my urges like improved quality with my computer. I spent last weekend reorganizing my room which resulting in me needing a wireless keyboard and mouse. No problem. They were only $40 and kind of necessary with my new arrangements. However, they got me started on the superfluous computer expenditures and I ended up dropping a load of money without really thinking about it. So now I have buyer's regret.

Really, the quality just isn't there for the price it cost. Plus it makes everything on the computer look like crap. You can easily see the flaws in the pictures and downloaded video and youtube videos. It's like when I bought a brand new couch years and years ago and put it into my living room full of used furniture and milk crates. It was a glaring reminder of the inadequacy of all of its counterparts. It's a slippery slope that ends up with mass amounts of money being spent on constant upgrades. It's people working jobs they hate to buy shit they don't need. It's stopping here though. I packed it up already and it's going back to the store tomorrow. I will have to be dragged into the next technological advances kicking and screaming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I'm not mistaken, that's almost a verbatim Tyler Durden quote?