Friday, May 16, 2008

pool boy

Today I could see while swimming. It sounds un-amazing but it's one of those things sighted people take for granted.

When I was in sixth grade, my class went to the rec center in North Platte to go swimming. I tried to go off the high board but the life guard called me down and told me I had to take off my glasses first. So I did and then I walked back up the plank without being able to clearly see the people below. I thought that this was my life, one more limitation I have.

Walking to the pool today, bushes and trees seemed particularly crisp and clear. I realized that this was the first time I will have gone swimming since my laser eye surgery. No more blurred vision. No more potentially lost contact lenses in the pool. One more restored freedom.

No comments: