Tuesday, April 1, 2008

small town portland

Growing up, when watching Days of our Lives with my mom, sister, aunt, Grandma or English teacher, we used to always comment on the odds of the chance encounters that happened so frequently. For example, in a town of unknown size, but one that was large enough to have skyscrapers, a major airport and several newspapers, how is it that a group of 20-30 people kept running into each other around town?

However, I've realized that Portland has all of the above and still, I run into people all the time. In fact, it's rare for me to walk and not see at least someone I know. Today, I happened upon Dominic at a video store and we went and had dinner and drinks all on my walk home from work. It's nice to have that small town feel without having the small town constrictions.

Oh yeah, my new thing was meeting a prospective client and her parent for the first time. And I suppose that's the key to making a larger city seem smaller; by meeting more and more people.

No comments: