Saturday, April 5, 2008

like any other

The above picture could be any bar. It is completely lacking any distinction from most other bars to the extent that I felt completely comfortable there once I scoped out the patrons and deemed most of them harmless. It is as if the bar is part of some franchise, like McDonalds, where you can't tell which one you're in until you get out and look at the neighborhood and even then it can be hard to judge if you're in a suburb.

This picture happen to come from Joe's Cellar in NW Portland. It was a nice bar and I could definitely see going back there if I was in the neighborhood or it was closer. The staff was nice, the patrons were mellow and the food and drink was cheap. However, there are probably at least a dozen other bars between my house and Joe's that looks and feels just like this place.

Despite it's cliched aesthetic, Joe's Cellar was a new thing for me. However, I also hit a new dumpster tonight that made a greater impression on me. Vegan food, individually wrapped, set aside in sanitary blue bin. Now that's something to remember.

No comments: