Saturday, April 26, 2008

timbers' army

I went to another soccer game today. Is it possible that I could actually become a sports fan?

As far as sports go, I do enjoy basketball. If given a choice though between watching sports on TV or watching any soap opera, I'd choose the soap easily, even if it was a boring one like Young and the Restless. But I do enjoy basketball live. I used to go nuts watching my high school team play to the point where the coach had to instruct me to sit down to keep us from getting a "T."

And I think I like soccer live as well. Yesterday, we went to a Timbers vs Seattle game. We never beat Seattle. Plus, Seattle was chosen to get a MLS team over Portland even though Portland's average attendance dwarfs Seattle's. Usually when I go to these games, I spend most of the game standing. I just feel more involved that way. My friend Jesse who I've seen every game with stands the entire game. We always sit close enough to the Timbers Army (the rowdy fan section) to where it's usually not an issue. However, it became an issue tonight.

As per normal, I started out standing. But I got tapped on the shoulder from someone behind me and I turned to see the guy directly behind me was motioning for me to sit. Whatever. I did but only because the guy was directly behind me. Jesse was two seats to the right of me and remained standing. Jesse's only 5' tall so usually this isn't an issue. Some tall, drunk and loud guy two rows behind us tells Jesse to sit down. Jesse says no and the guy directly behind me won't shut up about it.

After the first half, tall, drunk and loud dude comes and stands on the the chair in front of Jesse and opens up his jacket. Without hesitation, Jesse moves to the chair next to TD&L dude and keeps cheering. TD&L then puts his jacket in front of Jesse's face. Jesse pulled the jacket down and to the side and TD&L was so D that he followed the jacket into a bunch of empty seats. He gets up, finds security and I go with Jesse when they ask him to come with them. One cop, five security guards and a vice president of operations later, we are asked to so sit in any seat of our choosing with the Timbers Army away from TD&L.

Really, it wasn't fair but I liked the seats better and enjoyed that part of the game a lot more. The Army is very rambunctious and pretty much makes the game. One of our guys scored and suddenly I was immersed in a loud sea of green and gold. It was very festive and contagious and it's the only way to watch a game!

No comments: