Sunday, March 30, 2008

seeing the day from the wrong side

One of my favorite characters from one of my favorite shows once said, “I like sunrise better when I'm getting up early than when I'm staying up late, you know? It's like I'm seeing it from the wrong side.” I totally get that.

It was a late night last night that bled into an early morning. I went to bed around 7:45 AM. I don’t usually like doing that. I used to but not anymore. My job has successfully suppressed the night owl that lives inside me and has nurtured the early bird within. When I used to hang with my friend Shawn in Kearney, we would head to the donut shops right when they opened before we would each call it a night. I remember watching the sunrise on many bike rides home going up Clinton from Ashes’ former home. I used to love making it all night. It somehow translated into ‘winning’ for me. Now, if I can get a full eight hours of sleep and get up and about and have enough time to make coffee and breakfast in the morning, I count that as a victory. So it was nice this weekend to let go and stay up.

I don’t know if I’ll be doing it again anytime soon though. Or maybe I will…

For my new thing, we stopped and ate at “Pig ‘N Pancake” on the way home. I was surprised we elected to eat there since most of us are vegetarians but I was mentally exhausted and couldn’t come up with a better idea. Surprisingly, they actually did have some good veggie options.

No comments: