Thursday, April 3, 2008

question of comfortable living

I haven’t been as comfortable in a living situation as I am now. In fact, I like it so much that I don’t even think about it as an issue. Occasionally I’ll pass by a house and think, ‘Wow, that’d be nice to live in,’ or ‘Damn, look at that space,’ but there’s always something (usually the location and the busy street outside) that isn’t near as nice as our house. That’s why I was kind of surprised that my housemates brought up the idea of moving to the place pictured above. We drove out to see it today and we were all sorely disappointed.

Here’s what it has working for it: It’s five-bedroom and the rent is only $300/month.

Here’s what makes it undesirable: It’s right off of McLoughlin in Sellwood. You can only take a right turn out of the dead end street that it’s on and end up going further east until you can turn around. Also, it’s enough big junk in the lawn to obscure the view of the house.

I didn’t get a chance to look inside the house so I can’t determine how much work is needed in there but I imagine it has to be a lot if the place is renting for so little. The money savings would be really really nice but it’s a question of a quality of life. I’ve quit nice paying jobs because they made me miserable. I don’t think I’ll let money jeopardize my happiness at home either.

No comments: