Thursday, March 13, 2008

hey mr dj


I love to dance but if there's one thing I love more than dancing, it's making people dance. Tomorrow, at the J-party, I have a forty minute DJ slot that I am preparing for today.

The J-party is the birthday party for Jesse and Jesse, two good friends of ours. The first year was J2, the second was J4, the third was J8, the fourth was J16 and so on. This year it's J32. Like a proper beast, this party evolves every year, adapting to it's environment and it's patrons and it's participants. It's become a vehicle through which numerous people are enabled to express their artistic, culinary, design, acting, organizational or musical talent.

It's also a last minute operation by tradition. People usually work on their part up to the day of or even the hour of the party. I am no different. At least I got this done today instead of working on it tomorrow evening. I'm not familiar with a lot of audio programs but I have tested audacity before so I decided to use that to DJ. Basically, my bottom line was smooth transitions from mix to mix. I have plenty of good mixes from various talented DJs on my computer. I just needed a way to put them all together smoothly. I put together a 44 minute mix, using everything from Basement Jaxx to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs to Rihanna to Dolly Parton. I had some Kenny Rogers to put in their but I am already four minutes over. I exported it out at an Mp3. It's sort of cheating because I won't have to do anything but hit play when it starts but it will get the job done and keeps those booties moving! That's all I want.

No comments: