Friday, March 21, 2008

pastini as part of the problem

For the first few years I lived in Portland, the seven corners area was a favorite of mine. My future roommates lived down the street. The most friendly local bike shop was just up the street. And the Red and Black cafe was there. The area was low-key. There was an empty Apple (fruit not computer) store down the street and the building across the street was an abandoned butcher shop.

Soon, the butcher shop turned into a Starbucks and a Pastini. The Apple store became a New Seasons Market. My roommates were priced out of the neighborhood. Seven Corners Bike Shop moved out of seven corners and the Red and Black was forced out. I'm sure it will turn into condos soon.

It's weird seeing an area so overcome like that. I now HATE driving down Division because that corner sucks and parking anywhere near there is impossible. It took me a while before I would go to New Seasons. However, I have a good friend who works there now and the neighborhood is shot so why not stop there on my walk home. The other grocery store options (other than People's Co-op) are a lot worse as far as big businesses go. I will never ever go to the Starbucks though. Starbucks as a whole are just bathroom stops for me when I gotta go. But that Starbucks in particular is rotten beyond rotten. However, I did go to the Pastini today.

I hate supporting the gentrification in the neighborhood but work was paying for the meal and I never turn down free food. They did have good options although they had a dish with anchovies in their vegetarian options. Overall it was decent but not a lot of food and it was expensive. But I guess that's the point. I'm not supposed to be able to afford to eat, shop or live around there anymore.

No comments: