Thursday, March 27, 2008

the fake kind of peace

Today, I went to a video presentation and Q&A session about the struggle of the indigenous people of Mexico. This past week, I've learned a hell of a lot about the struggles for freedom and justice across the globe and specifically in Oaxaca. It's overwhelming really. People, including myself, view the US government as repressive. However, like a speaker pointed out to us yesterday, I don't have to live in constant fear of home raids or getting shot in the street.

Yet, this 'peace' that we enjoy isn't (or shouldn't be) considered peaceful because it relies on the oppression of others. Our government, which may 'allow' certain freedoms for its citizens is also directly responsible for the unrest of many many many citizens of other countries. I am definitely over-simplifying the situation and it has been a 'duh' for me for some time now but it's good to keep reminding myself of it. Also, I became more familiar with the concept of neo-liberalism today which I am guilty of. I recycle, buy organic and free trade and I bike whenever possible but those concepts aren't going to change the world. So, what's the solution? Obviously, we oppose most moves our government makes and fight against this injustice whenever possible but in the meantime, do we just live with the guilt?

No comments: