Saturday, March 8, 2008

419

Today, I gave my dog his due and worked off my guilt for leaving him home while I went to the beach. I took him up to Wahkeena Falls. I've been there many many times before and so has Dean. It's the most gorgeous set of falls in the Gorge and it's less touristy than Multnomah. When I go there, I usually hike up Wahkeena Falls Trail #420. It tends to be a nice trek. Today I started up trail 420 until I passed Fairy Falls and Vista Point Trail #419 shoots off to the left. Normally I just pass it by but today I took it instead.

It was a different view on a familiar scene. My main problem with it was that it ran along (although way above) the highway so the sounds of traffic that I thought I had escaped still permeated the air. When it did cut back into the woods and away from the noise, Dean and I took a small offshoot trail where the path disappeared so I could lay in the moss and soak up the quiet.

The ocean is amazing but my heart belongs to the forest. I think it's a psychological thing which can be attributed to the cover of the woods. I'm feel exposed in the open beach. If you get deep enough in the forest, it can seem like you're alone. For me, that feeling is crucial when I'm trying to escape for a bit. Occasionally, I forget the comfort that the forest, the silence and the fresh air provide. I haven't been on a walk through the woods outside of the city all year. I'm glad I could do this...for Dean. ;)

No comments: