Saturday, January 12, 2008

portland's queer history

I earned my gay points today. My friend called me yesterday and asked if I wanted to go to a film showing about Ballot Measure 9 at the Q Center (Portland GLBTQ center). I was sick so I said no. She then called me again today as unrelenting as she is and told me I needed to go see a panel of speakers on Portland's queer history (again at the Q Center). She sounded determined to get me there and I knew I'd eventually have to say yes anyway (even though I'm sick) so I went.

It was my first time at the Q Center which isn't too far from where I work. It was like I expected it to be, an art studio. I was hoping for something more along the lines of SMYRC (the sexual minorities youth recreation center) but no. This place looks like it caters to a different income bracket.

Anyway, my cynicism aside, the event was great. There were around 17 speakers and over 200 people in the audience. It was a very comfortable setting and I was glad that I went with my friend because she knew a hella lot more than I did.

Charles Hinkle was the lawyer who represented lesbian school teacher Peggy Burton in Federal Court. He talked about debating someone from the OCA (Oregon Citizens Alliance). My friend remembers that he did a fabulous job. Susie Shepherd was also a great speaker. Her parents started the Portland PFLAG and she talked about how active she was back in the day and how much resistance she got from the straight community AND the queer community. Harold Strong was the second Rose Court Emperor and he talked for a bit about being black and gay. Donna Red Wing was the designated activist for the night who turned out to be a liberal. Barbara Roberts, former Oregon Governor was the only straight person to speak (and interestingly enough, the only person to get a standing ovation?!?!). She was a marvelous speaker though, widely recognized for having the Portland Gay Men's Chorus sing at her inauguration. And then there was Sam Adams.

Sam is a city commissioner who is openly gay. I don't think much of politicians but Sam grew up in Newport and talked about the hate he experienced there. He also talked about walking down the streets of Portland, showing off the town to a visitor as the city commissioner. I guess a car drove by and someone yelled, "Sam Adams takes it up the ass!" He said the visitor asked if that was his proctologist. I think he might be one of the first politicians I actually support.

No comments: