Sunday, January 27, 2008

a dog eat shit walk

I love my dog and try to think that he’s smarter than the average canine. This morning, I watched a PBS special on dogs and they talked about how the different breeds of dogs were bred with certain intentions in mind. A labrador retriever is bred to be smarter so I had a lot of pride in him when we went for our walk. We went by a big gaggle of Canadian geese near a golf course. It was cool to see all of them out there and it was cooler to see them all fly off after Dean and I managed to spook them (unintentionally but it was my first time scaring SO many into flight). Dean got all excited and wanted to smell where they were. Despite the on-lookers standing around, I figured there was no harm in letting him run around in an empty lot. He ran right in there and starting eating the bird crap. I was horrified so I called him back.

We went for a walk around the college and found a bunch of other dogs there. I saw a yellow lab and sent Dean off to play with him and his friends out of comradery. Dean runs up, smells them and then goes back and smells and eats their poo. Yep, that’s my dog, my boy, eating poo. I think I put too much faith in him.

No comments: