Tuesday, January 22, 2008

classical style


I was always appalled by the Bugs Bunny cartoon “What’s Opera Doc?” where he dresses in drag, rides around on a fat horse, Elmer Fudd falls in love with him, discovers he’s not a real girl, gets very violent, tries to kill him and then is grief-stricken by it. It’s a lot for a small child to deal with. Hell, it’s a lot for an adult to deal with.

I’m not an opera person anyway. I don’t like big overtures and all that. Give me a steady cat-choking beat any day. However, recently, it was indirectly recommended to me that I give classical a try. Specifically, I was turned onto Chopin’s Nocturne. So, for the first time, I listened to classical music while I worked out.

I’ve always found music to be so pervasive. Different beats, vocals and instruments can bring out different emotions. Usually, I can count on musicals to bring me up. Judy Garland makes me extremely pissed off (I don’t know why). With classical, in the gym setting, I lost myself. I just zeroed in on the music, let it pour through me and I ended up having a better run on the elliptical machine than I have ever had before. Crazy.

I didn’t feel like seducing a short bald man with a horned helmet though.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Thanks for the nostalgic moment! Lane heard the Merry Melodies and had to come over to watch with me.