Monday, December 3, 2007

a good book gone bad


They say that you should never meet your heroes because they will only disappoint you. I've always found that to be true. I think the same applies to books you really like. Don't ever see the movie. I always do though and in one way or another, I am usually disappointed. The Lord of the Rings was good but the book was just a little bit better. Tonight, I saw the Golden Compass in an advance screening with a free ticket for the first time.

The line was huge and I expected to get turned away because we were FAR in the back. But much to my delight, we got in and got to sit next to each other. As far as the movie goes, I was expecting the same thing as LOTR. I thought the movie would be good with some literary liberties taken in the screenplay and I knew the book would be better. However, I was beyond pissed at the movie to the point where I yelled at the screen at the end.

The actors were marvelous and the scenery was beautiful. But they were both at the mercy of a lazy and forgetful screenplay writer and an overzealous editor. Oh the horror! They skipped SO much and then rearranged the order that the story was told in. Hell, they ended the movie several chapters before the end of the book!

I am almost done with the third book. I read a lot yesterday, trying to finish it before I saw the movie. However, now I'm glad that I still have a little of the book to read. I want the written word to be the lasting impression of that tale in my imagination.

No comments: