Saturday, October 24, 2015

funerals for friends

Last week, I found out through Facebook that someone I knew passed away. I knew Robin but I can't say that we were more than just acquaintances. I've talked to him at parties but I think I probably saw his old dog Kansas more in the last 8 or so years than I had Robin. Still, I never had a negative experience with him & he was one of my few friends that had a strong bond with a dog so I wanted Togo pay my respects.

He was a fun-loving, all-around good guy that inspired everyone around him to be better and that's pretty much the best thing I could hope for anyone to say when I'm gone. There were a lot of people at the service; I only knew a handful of them but it was great to hear them speak of Robin and his adventures. Plus I've never heard someone in a chicken costume drop so many F-bombs during a eulogy before.

A lot of people posted online about how Robin showed them how to not take yourself too seriously. That's really stuck with me all week. That and that life is to be valued. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with those ideals looming around the forefront in my mind but I feel altered.

What else?
On Friday, I got to tour a new group home with a customer & his family. He fit in great & loved it. It was the first thing that I did that day and I really just wanted to drop the mic & walk away because it felt great and I knew the day couldn't get better.

No comments: