Monday, October 5, 2015

familial familiarity

 
Facebook had provided me with an odd sense of familiarity with family. Even tho I'm so far away from everyone else in my family (especially my extended family), I feel like I know what's going on with most of them. For example, whenever I post anything, I can almost always count on one of my aunts liking it and possibly (positively) commenting on it. This gives the illusion that we're interacting but when I stop to think about it, I realize that she doesn't post anything really personal about her life and I don't get deep in mine. Hell, I don't get as deep as I could here but on Facebook, I keep it all friendly, mostly funny, sometimes opinionated, and rarely heartfelt. 

Therefore, it's nice to see the people that I see on FB in person instead of just their avatar reposting a cartoon or a meme or that they like X, Y, and/or Z. Today, I got to see three of my aunts on my mom's side, one of my cousins, and my second-cousin. I also got to go to my cousin's farm. This cousin isn't on Facebook and she's a cousin I feel kicks ass because she's a vet so I was really glad I got to see her, in person.

Also, I was glad that Ava got to meet everybody and she got to see the horses that were on my cousin's land. Big farm animals are very intriguing to her (you can hear her whining for them in the video and they came to the fence as a result).

No comments: