Wednesday, January 4, 2012

slow to grow at work

One unnamed (until now) resolution for me was to be a better co-worker. Before my vacation, I decided that I would be better in my job. This not only means respecting (some of) my bosses a little more but also making more of an effort to get along with my co-workers. It's been hard because I know not all of them are as outraged as I am about my friend getting fired. Still, I have to realize that not all of them were nearly as close to him as I am. Therefore, it stands to reason that they wouldn't be as outraged. So I am extending an olive-branch to most of them and dedicating myself to being a better co-worker this year.

I started it off tonight by drinking two pints of stout and one vodka lemonade with them (at Slow Bar for the first time) and sharing stories of dumpster-diving.

Really, I do like the majority of my co-workers. I believe that most of them are getting paid more than me (not counting my scholarship) but I don't think that any of them are working this job for the money. For the most part, they have good hearts and are in in to help the clients. I can totally respect that and I will work to help them.

I get along with Erin the best so I surprised myself by going to a work happy hour without her (she's sick) and I'm glad I did. It gave me a chance to get to know some of my other co-workers a little better and it turns out that we have more in common than I thought. When my friend got fired, the hardest part for me was losing a constant confidant at work. I have had a hard time trusting anyone else there and letting go with them. I was glad to work on that tonight.

No comments: