Monday, January 2, 2012

goodbye yellow brick road

I get sentimental about books that I've loved. I adored the Wicked Series (although the 3rd book wasn't that great) so it was with hesitation today that I finished the fourth and reputed last book in the series. Wicked is probably one of my favorite fantasy books ever and Son of a Witch was a very fine follow-up. Out of Oz was a good ending to it all, bringing several elements and characters from the series to a satisfying conclusion. I've been close to reading the end for almost a week now but since I started reading the book at Rain or Shine, I decided I would have to finish it there as well. Today was the first day in a while that I had time to sit back and just enjoy some quiet book and coffee time. (I also had their Cardamon Latte for the first time.) It was a nice way to end a relationship with a satisfying series and unique author.

I've read some of the other books by Gregory Macguire and I have to say that I probably won't be picking up anymore. I read two others and tried a third but they just weren't the same as the Wicked novels. However, they were written in a similar enough style so that it was really hard not to compare the story and the characters to the Wicked and thus be disappointed.

Now it's 9:22pm, I'm tired (but caught up on my blog!!! Whoo hoo!!) and I want to read a book while I try to fall asleep. I picked up Warm Bodies in September but I just can't accept a zombie love story. If you have recommendations for me, leave a comment. Maybe I'll just start reading some school books early.

What else?
I also finally caught up with Breaking Bad and finished Season 4. I can't say that it's a series for everyone but it is a very well done show. Written intelligently with awesome acting and memorable camera work.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm in the middle of Breaking Bad Season 2 and can't wait to finish it! I would suggest books by Charles de Lint. I just finished The Little Country and liked it a lot. But the first book of his I read was The Forests of the Heart, which was awesome. Good luck!