Monday, January 23, 2012

at the backfence

Laughter is too greatly underrated, at least for me. I forget how great it is to laugh uncontrollably. I get happy, I smile, I am filled with joy but I just don't laugh whole-hardheartedly often enough. Luckily, I did something about that tonight.

Sophia had got tickets to this event BackFence PDX for us tonight. Unfortunately, she ended up having other plans so she couldn't make it. Fortunately, Jennifer took her spot and Tim also joined us. Backfence is basically story-telling on stage in an every-other-month event. This time, it was held a the beautiful Portland Center Stage. It was my first time there. They had six people signed up to tell stories (I think they were ten minutes long) about a certain topic. Tonight's topic was 'I didn't think this through.' The stories couldn't be memorized, couldn't be written down, couldn't include props and had to be factual. Being funny isn't a requirement but all of tonight's stories had a funny edge to them.

I don't know how they solicited the storytellers but they did a good job of getting a mixture of different types of tales and different types of storytellers. During intermission, they also gave the audience members a chance to sign up and tell a one-minute story. I signed up but didn't get called. I'm glad I didn't but I wanted to at least try.

Overall, I really really enjoyed the event. The last storyteller almost killed me. I was laughing so hard that I couldn't breathe. I guess I'm a sucker for vomit stories.

What else?
Before the show, we went to the new Sizzle Pie location in Southeast where Rocco's used to be. I miss Rocco's.

Yesterday, my new thing was meeting Andrew's friend, Kurt. Andrew and I headed to Back Stage where we ran into Kurt and played our Battle Line game. I have to say that I'm really enjoying seeing Andrew on a weekly basis now.

No comments: