Friday, January 20, 2012

intensive learning

After I started high school, I looked back on elementary classes and wondered how I ever sat through a full day of class in the same room from the same person. When I got to college, I wondered how I ever sat through a full days worth of classes. When I found out I was going to have to sit for eight hours this quarter for an intensive class on mental health, I truly questioned my ability to do it. After having done it for the first time tonight, I eagerly anticipate my next class (even though it will be on my birthday) and I find myself wishing that more of my classes would be taught in this structure.

There's a few things that contribute to my enjoyment of the class. First off, my teacher is great. She's the only teacher so far to give me a B but I enjoy her style of teaching and I find her very knowledgeable. Next, I really enjoy talking about mental health, both the diagnosis and the treatment. Also, I like several of my classmates, both the ones that I've had in other classes and the ones that I met for the first time tonight. What really made this class for me though was the amount of comfort that we were allowed to provide for ourselves to get through it. I brought two pillows; one for my back and one for my butt. The classmate on my right brought a blanket because the teacher warned that it might get cold in the class. The classmate on my left brought several jars of food and drinks to sustain herself. If more classes could be this comfortable, I'd probably enjoy going more than I do right now.

If I had a criticism of the class, it was that there will only be three more classes during the quarter. I get the feeling that this will be one of those rare courses that I look back on with fondness.

What else?
I bought my first Megabucks ticket this evening on the hour long dinner break in class. If I win, I will quit my job but I'm pretty sure I'll finish school.

No comments: