Thursday, January 26, 2012

saying nothing at all

One of my clients screwed up bad last week, putting another client in jeopardy. That's one of the few things that a client could do to warrant being exited from the program. However, I have made progress with this client and I think there is hope for the client so today, I gave the client a second chance. I held a meeting with the client's whole support team including the parents. The problem is that the parents don't know part of the client's problems at work because the client specified in the client's information release that I couldn't mention this part of the problem to the parents. (Sorry for all of the vagueness but I need to vent and protect the client's privacy at the same time)

So I had to hold an entire team meeting while avoiding naming a specific and significant part of the problem but yet needing to stress the seriousness of what the client did. And I did it (and did it well). The client totally justified my second chance opportunity by starting the meeting with an apology and saying how the program has changed the client's life. It was really important for me to hear because there are times when I think that the client doesn't want to even be in the program. The client's funding agent and I both stressed the seriousness of the situation and I had to put some stipulations on the client's return to the program.

I'm sure the client's parent's thought that the stipulations were odd considering they were unknowingly missing half of the story. However, the client is an adult who receives support for the parents but they are not the guardians. Therefore, the client has the right to confidentiality. Also, the progress that we have made hinges on the client being able to trust me so I had to honor the confidentiality. Honestly, I could have gotten the client to sign the complete information release, including the part which would allow me full disclosure to the parents. However, I knew the client really didn't want the parents to know and it wasn't imperative that they did. I also could have exited the client for this latest situation or the situation which I can't discuss with the parents. However, I don't want to because the client likes the program and I think that it can really work eventually. Hell, I think it's already working. I just hate giving up. Really, if I didn't have the client, I might just get bored with my job. I enjoy the challenge and the successes. I would have to say that today's meeting was definitely a success.

What else?
Ironically, I went to Ships Ahoy after work with three co-workers to complain about work right after work. We were having our pre-accreditation tour today and yesterday. It's a bit of a farce because we clean our stuff up to a ridiculous level before the pre-tour so we make a really good impression. However, it's not an accurate reflection of our work place. What's the point in having someone come through before the accreditation process if we aren't going to show them what we're really like. Now, we have a few months to take the recommendations from these surveyors and prepare to clean up our act even further when the actual surveyors come in the spring. It feels too phoney. I don't like it. Fortunately, I still love working with the clients and therefore I still enjoy my job.

I can't remember what my new thing was on Tuesday 1/24. It's a shame because I had been doing such a good job of keeping up on the blogging.

On Wednesday, I had my first (and last) warm bubble tea. Tapioca bubbles should not be warm.

No comments: