Friday, February 11, 2011

mr t's exit

Hardly anybody is from Portland.  Out of all of my close friends, two of them were actually born here.  The rest of us happened to migrate here about the same time in 2002.  Like the show Portlandia said, it's where young people come to retire.  However, times are changing and people are moving on.

Tonight, we said goodbye to BHT.  I think that he came here around the same time.  He's been traveling, came back to Portland for around a year.  Changing times are what is driving BHT out of town.  I found out that Kindles are destroying book stores tonight.  BHT had his dream job working at Powells but, due to the lack of paper book sales, they had to do some major layoffs and unfortunately, BHT was one of the many cuts.  I think he is also ready for a change but the job loss was kind of a motivating factor.

To see him off, we went a couple different spots, including a karaoke bar.  We ended up at the Red Flag bar which I have never been to and probably won't remember well if I go back.  However, I'm glad to have gotten to see Mr T off.  I wish him well in Chicago.  I don't have any plans to leave town so I hope he comes back so our paths can cross again.

No comments: