Tuesday, June 24, 2008

spreading the word

For me, activism has been about 75% campaigning for causes and informing the masses. I began in 1999 or 2000 when Nebraskans were voting on an anti-queer rights bill. Some friends and I made a flyer that said, "All in favor of Amendment ???, raise your hand." And then on the flyer was a picture of Hitler doing his hand salute. We put the flyers everywhere. Unfortunately (and not surprisingly), the bill passed almost unanimously. Still, it felt good to at least try to get the word out that not all of us supported this piece of bigotry.

I still enjoy raising people's conscious and awareness. Today, I helped do so by showing 'Small Town Gay Bar' at the Red & Black Cafe. While there, I met a guy (for the first time) from Bakersfield (I think) California. He said I looked familiar and ended up recognizing me from an Indymedia video. It's nice to know I'm making a difference (or at least an impression).

No comments: