Wednesday, June 25, 2008

the purple room

When I first toured Portland before moving here, I went to Powell's Bookstore to apply for a job. The place is HUGE. They have maps throughout the store to guide you through the five floors of new and used books. At the time, they were hiring for a supervisor and paying $21/hour. I just about shit when I saw that. My assumption was that jobs in Portland just paid a helluva lot more. It wasn't until I moved here that I realized Portland had one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation.

Still, I kept applying at the place. Coming from working in a book, music and video store, I figured I could at least get an interview and I always get a job that I interview for. However, I now believe that you have to sign over your first-born to get an interview there. A job there probably requires your soul.

Despite my feelings of rejection, I still go to Powells. It's a great place to just wander around. Plus a lot of cute guys are there and it's near the former gay ghetto. Today, I was down in the area so I spent my lunch break (and then some) in the purple room. The purple room is their history room and also home to their GLBTQ section. I could spend all day just purusing those shelves. And that's just one of their eight rooms.

No comments: