Sunday, June 1, 2008

misadventures




My most memorable trip in my two years at McCook Community College was when our choir went to a regional recital in Minneapolis. It was during the winter of 1996 and a record setting snow and ice storm. We got to Minneapolis okay, only having to stop unexpectedly once in Iowa when the choir teacher was positive short bus windows were going to break from the cold. Coming back, we broke down in Stuart, Iowa. Hell had frozen over and they renamed it Iowa. It sounds bad but it was one of the most fun trips of my life up until then.

In Europe, our
break down at the Czech/German border was a delay in the schedule but it was also a welcomed break in routine. You see a pattern here?

On the way back from our RV trip to the coast, we broke down. We broke down so many times I lost count. Steam was pouring out of the crack in the radiator and filling the RV up. We got to see a lot more of the coast and I think it's probably one of the most beautiful places to break down. Due to these delays, we ended up getting the chance to walk along hike Oswald Park, walk Cannon Beach, play a game of soccer, see Klootchy Creek park, meet some interesting folks at a gas station outside Seaside, talk to a nice highway patrol person and camp an extra night at a farm. It wasn't the most ideal of situations but I did enjoy myself. And people say I've turned into a pessimist...

No comments: