Friday, June 6, 2008

a bit long in the fang

They say "age is just a number but the physical effects of aging are very real." I agree more with the saying, "You're only as old as you feel," because somedays you can feel ten years younger and some days you feel a slight bit older than you actually are.

I occasionally think (okay, I often think) in a younger mindset than I am actually in so it's jarring to me to have my 32 years come around and kick my body's ass through muscle ache, exhaustion, joints hurting or hair loss. I don't think getting older is a bad thing. I welcomed my 30s with open arms. I just need to adapt my lifestyle to my body's changing needs.

I've also had issue with Dean getting older. I still call him a pup. I know he's graying around the muzzle but he still has a pup mentality most of the time. However, yesterday he started limping really hard on one leg. He's been doing it for a while but it usually would fade away after three minutes of walking. Yesterday, we walked to the library and I practically dragged him. It was odd because he always drags me. Anyway, I was so worried about him that I made a last minute vet appointment and ditched the last hour of work for him. It turns out they will have to sedate him next week and do an X-Ray. It's either a pinched nerve, arthritis, hip problems or a combination. Poor guy.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hang in there, Dean!