Wednesday, February 11, 2009

chasing ambulances

I love the unpredictability of my job...sometimes. Other times it's a pain in the ass. Being self-motivated at work means that I pretty much set up my itinerary. I decide which days I'm going to stay in the offie and which days I'm going to head out. I pretty much decide which days are going to be work-intensive and which days are going to be...not so intensive. However, there are variables.

Today, the variable was a heart attack. One of our participants thought she was having a heart attack so she had to be rushed to the hospital. She's pretty independent so she didn't have family to call but we couldn't let her go it alone so I followed her there and waited with her. Luckily, she's fortunate enough to have a good enough friend and neighbor who met her there later.

Although it wasn't on my to-do list today, I think that it was very timely. Yesterday, I attended one of my participants' meetings. This is her annual meeting where all of her care givers get together and talk with her about her plan for the year. Unfortunately, the person in charge of the meeting is afraid of driving in the snow and cut the meeting short without really addressing the person we were there for. I was pissed and feeling like none of this matters. Then today happened and I realized that we are making a difference when it comes down to it.

On a side note, the participant didn't have a heart attack but rather an asthma attack. Still, I was glad I could be there for her.

No comments: