Tuesday, November 4, 2008

unnatural (s)election

In 2004, when Bush was reselected, I went out for coffee with several members of Code Pink, a relatively radical group, comprised primarily of older women. There was going to be a protest later on that day and we were meeting to strategize. When I got there, one of them announced that the Democratic Patsy had just conceded. I don't think that whats-his-name would have been great but after four years of the Bush, it was appalling that people were going to let him have another four years. We sat around the table, held hands and said some words. It wasn't a prayer necessarily but it was a call to Mother Earth to give us strength. It may sound hokey but it's the only thing that really got me going that morning and for the next four years. I'm worried now because I'm not meeting with Code Pink tomorrow.

I think that Obama will get the majority of the vote but I believe that McCain will steal it. They're already having problems with the voting machines. I voted today at the library instead of the election office (pictured above). At least in Oregon, we have paper ballots which are more difficult to alter. Whatever the outcome, I just want this to be done now.

No comments: