Monday, November 3, 2008

the night the lights went out in portland

I think it's the soap opera influence but I've always been keen on disasters. I don't want anybody hurt but I love something that shakes things up, especially when it used to get me out of school/church/work. Portland's weather is so damn mellow that any little shakeup is a welcome change of pace.

Tonight, the lights went out in whole neighborhoods. Street lights, businesses, residences and street signals all lost power for an indefinite amount of time. It wasn't a blanket blackout and it fortunately didn't last for more than a night but it was pretty damn sweet seeing a busy street like Hawthorne completely dark. I was picking up clothing donations at the time and the store went dark with very very minimal window lighting. I was prepared though as I had my headlamp for my bike in my pocket. I'm always ready for a little chaos.

No comments: