Monday, November 17, 2008

the things my art teacher never taught me


I used to love art class in school. I loved various mediums, from ink to watercolor but I was particularly fascinated with etching on mirrors. It seemed so neat, to be able to take a plain mirror and put an image on it that would never be removed. Maybe I liked it better than paintings or drawings because mirrors could also be useful. Practically every house has at least one mirror. You might as well put something cool on it.

As of the last few years, I've been applying that mantra to t-shirt printing. Besides the fact that I basically have unlimited palates with the clothing donations, I like to have funky shit on my shirts. So far, I've been a part of the designing, printing and drying process but there are a few steps that I've been avoiding. So I'm all DYI, I decided to tackle one of them tonight, Photo Emulsion Remover. This isn't always necessary in the process of making a screen for screen printing but I hate to have shit sit around and I had at least two screens that I'm not planning on using again. I went to the Columbia Art Store and got me some emulsion remover. With this, I can clean up some older screens to reuse. There's always the possibility that the screen can't be cleaned but I at least wanted to try. Maybe I'll have two new screens to test my art on!

No comments: