Saturday, November 29, 2008

the bar hop

A gay bar hop used to mean going down the street. As insular as a gay ghetto may be, at least it meant that everything you were looking for in a night was all in one neighborhood. Of course, that did have it drawbacks when it meant that you may pay $20 per person in cover charges one night just because there were so many good bars in one quick walk. Now they're a little more spread out. Still, I was determined to make a go of it.

I don't feel comfortable at the bars anymore. I don't know what my problem is. I guess a lot of it has to do with the fact that my two favorite gay bars (Silverados and Eagles) packed up and moved this past year. Now they are the great unknown to me. Embers has also undergone some interior changes and I've never liked the Red Cap. It was weird realizing that I didn't have a bar downtown to go to where I could feel completely comfortable. I think that Silverados has the most potential out of all of the bars. Tonight, I tried Caseys which was occupied by maybe twelve patrons and two very bored looking go go boys. And the Eagle downstairs was heartbreaking. The Eagle used to be a place where I could always count on a lot of people hanging around but there was NOBODY there on a SATURDAY night! Plus the interior is just weird, as evidenced by the picture above. Why would you have that behind the pissers?

Really, I just want to go back three years when my bars were still the same and Embers still had goth night but I guess we all have to change at some point.

No comments: