Thursday, February 7, 2008

good grief

I haven’t dealt with grief a lot. I’ve lot very few people in my life and that’s the way I like it. Today, I had to play the part of a grief counselor to one of my clients. He was missing his parent who died a few years ago and he was feeling lost and alone. I realized that he lives on his own, has a personal agent that he sees maybe twice a year and an aunt and uncle outside the city so I was pretty much it. If he had problems, it was up to me to listen, offer the best advice and do something about it. It was overwhelming, knowing there were very few if any people I could turn to and say, “What can we do about his problems?” I was supposed to be the solution.

I ended up calling his personal agent and forcing her to meet with him because he needs help NOW. It was intense and emotionally draining. This guy hardly ever cries so today was quite a breakthrough because he has issues he needs to deal with. Afterwards, I was completely empty and it was only 11 am. Even though it was tough, I still wouldn’t trade the job for anything.

No comments: