Sunday, November 27, 2011

rain or shine

Since Dean hurt himself earlier in the month, he's been sort of mopey around the house. I don't think it'd be a long shot to say that he's depressed. For the past two weeks, his whole world has been a two block radius of the house. The vet said that's as far as I should take him. Even though they said it was just for two weeks, he's still limping and I don't want to push him.

When I was in junior high/high school, I had my dog Skip. Skip was a funny loyal dog but he's wasn't exactly the smartest dog. He was also terribly afraid of thunderstorms. I became very empathetic to his fear of thunderstorms which previously rarely bothered me. However, they shook me up whenever I was near Skip. I think that the same thing is happening with Dean. His depression is getting to me.

It could also be the seasonal change, the holidays and the lack of walking with Dean that's upsetting me. I love to walk. Anyway, since he's been on the injured list, I've felt the need to stay at home with him more often. Not only has this isolated me from social interaction but it has also kept me in close proximity to depression.

Today, Sophia and X-box hung out of the house and I made my getaway. I ended up at Rain or Shine, an awesome coffee shop a little ways away from me but it is worth the journey. It has great light, a very friendly staff and comfortable chairs and couches. I ordered a coffee latte drink with lemon zest on it. It was an odd combination but it was tasty. Yesterday, I bought the fourth and last book in the Oz series by Gregory Maguire. I didn't care that much for the third book but I loved Wicked and Son of a Witch. This book, Out of Oz, is great so far. I missed Blowpony last night because I wanted to keep reading it (plus none of my friends were interested in going). Today at the coffee shop, I had a very hard time putting it down. I'm glad that this coming Wednesday is the last class for the quarter. I'm looking forward to a winter break full of fluff reading. It's raised my spirits quite a bit. Also, while biking to Rain or Shine, I passed by the above advertisement. It's not Dean but it could be. It's an ad for Kaiser Permanente. I've never had an ad speak to me so aptly.

What else?
Ashes and I hit the sauna and the steam room at 24 Hour Fitness yesterday. It was nice but I don't think I'll be signing up just yet. It has been a fun new thing though.

Justin and I hung out today on my quest to get out of the house. It's been a rather pathetic weekend but it was nice to hang out with him. Jesse then came over to our house and updated our router so our internets work properly now. Hopefully that will improve my outlook as well.

No comments: