Wednesday, November 16, 2011

letting the rain win

When I moved out of Long Haus and gave up insuring my car, my supervisor asked me how I was going to get to work when it started raining. I told her I had plenty of rain gear but I could always bus it. I've held out having to take the bus until today but the forecast for rain was bad and I just wasn't in the mood to get wet.

It wasn't a good start to my new bus commute. I bought a five dollar all-day bus pass and quickly regretted it. The Morrison Bridge is under construction which means that the Belmont bus has to go across the Hawthorne Bridge and, in doing so, has to navigate SE 7th Ave. Despite how long this construction has been going on, SE 7th Ave traffic still isn't used to having a bus between Belmont and Hawthorne and I spent around 10 minutes just trying to make it between the two streets. I could have walked it in that time.

As I bussed back downtown for class tonight, I forgot the Belmont bus would make a sharp northern turn as soon as it got across the river so it could correct its construction detour. This took me way far away from PSU. I ended up having to run from SE 2nd and Morrison back up to PSU.

I was pissed and not in the mood to get back on the bus to go home after class. However, as if the universe was offering up an apology for the shitty commuting service I had received throughout the day, I found a $5 bill on the ground before my last bus stop. That kind of made it all worth it.

No comments: