Sunday, November 13, 2011

it's the final countdown

Earlier this week, Portland's Mayor Sam Adams announced that people would have to evacuate the occupation by 12:01am on Sunday morning. While I am unsure about the exact intent of camping in a park, I agree with the general message of dissent and dissatisfaction with the current system. I also expected that there would be police violence. Why else would you evict someone in middle of the night? However, I didn't expect so much community support.

I don't want to write about the whole experience again as I have already posted a story about it here on Indymedia. I will however say that it was unbelievable. I spent all night downtown with a couple thousand people standing off against the cops until the sun came up. Absolutely surreal.

It wasn't easy. It was rainy and cold and I should have brought snacks. At around 2:30am, I was ready to go but instead I just took a break, got some food and cocoa, and went to the bathroom. I was able to last until dawn after that. Shortly after returning, I filmed this video:
After 6am, I hit my wall and had to go home. I was in the street for what would be an entire work day which also meant that I was also up for almost 24 hours. For the rest of today, I hung out at Long Haus, uploading my videos and pictures and writing the story.

No comments: