Tuesday, May 3, 2011

decor-fixation

Part of moving into a new setting means a renewed compulsion to buy new-to-me furniture.  When I first moved into my house in Nebraska, I did something similar except I ordered new furniture. Despite what Fight Club taught me, I decided that the only way to make my house feel complete was to order a couch out of JCPenneys or Sears catalog.  I came into a sum of money through inheritance so I didn't feel bad about lavishly spending it.  However, it got complicated.  I don't remember all of how it went but here's what I can recall.

I ordered a big couch and it was supposed to be delivered one day I had off work.  I waited home and finally called the company in the afternoon to see where it was.  Their response was, "Oh, we thought you were dead."  Apparently, they had called to verify the delivery time but had called the wrong number and got someone in Colorado who thought it would be more efficient to say that I was dead rather than "you have the wrong number."  So, I got my couch.  Since it was a new couch and the rest of my furniture was second-hand, it looked really awkward.  I ended up calling them and telling them I didn't want the couch after all.  They said they would come get it and refund my money.  They did end up refunding my money but they never picked up the couch.  Also, they sent me another couch.  I can't really remember what happened to one of the couches but I gave the other one to my brother who got a new free couch.

Anyway, I can't fathom ordering furniture new anymore, especially through a catalog.  What I really need is a dresser because my new room will have a lot less closet room and plus I won't have the clothing storage room underneath my loft.  I visited several vintage furniture shops up Hawthorne.  I hit Lounge Lizard and Deco to Disco for the first time.  I also visited Vintage Pink.  They all had decent items but they were all way too pricey.  I ended up finding a couple of different dressers for the right price at House of Vintage.  It ended up being a tough choice but I think that I chose wisely, deciding on a blonde wood waterfall style dresser with five big drawers.  It had been reduced about 50% in price too so I think I got a good deal.

Now I just need nightstands...

What else?


 I biked around to my stores today for work.  I was planning on spending a while at each store so I didn't want to reserve a zipcar and the work van was already reserved so I biked.  While heading back from Clackamas up the Springwater Corridor, I saw a bunch of Canadian Goslings. They were so cute but I couldn't get very close for a picture because mom and dad were pretty protective.

No comments: